Longview Public Library and the Longview Library Foundation invite artists to participate in the 2018 Juried Show at the Koth Memorial Gallery. We are seeking works based on the theme BRIDGES. Bridges are ubiquitous and important physical structures throughout the Pacific Northwest, but they can also describe the connections and bonds between people, communities, and ideas. How you interpret and visualize this theme could get your work on display in the Koth Memorial Gallery at Longview Public Library, and win you a prize!
Entry Deadline: April 6, 2018 at 5p.m. PST
Submission of a work of art to this exhibition shall be understood to indicate an agreement on part of the entrant to all terms and conditions set forth, including permission for reproduction of the submitted work of art in Longview Public Library marketing, general publications, and newspapers. The Purchase Award winner will be asked to sign a statement granting Longview Public Library a non-exclusive, royalty-free, and unrestricted license. The Purchase Award winning artwork will also become part of the Longview Public Library permanent collection.
Open to all artists over the age of 18 that live in Washington or Oregon. All work must be original in concept and composition, executed solely by the submitting artist and completed after January 1st, 2018. Longview Public Library reserves the right to refuse any entry, including accepted works which differ substantially from the image submitted. Works representing a single individual political or religious viewpoint will not be accepted. All accepted works MUST be hand-delivered to, and picked up in-person from Longview Public Library. Shipped work will NOT be accepted into the show and Longview Public Library is not responsible for its return.
* April 6- Submission deadline. Any submissions made after 5p.m. PST on April 6 will not be eligible for acceptance into the show.
* April 13- Accepted works announced. If you do not receive an acceptance e-mail by 5p.m. PST on April 13 your work was not accepted into the show.
* April 23- First day accepted artwork may be hand-delivered to Longview Public Library (during regular open hours).
* April 28- Deadline for work to be hand-delivered to Longview Public Library (by 4p.m. PST).
* May 1- Juror reviews work and selects award winners. Winners will be contacted by May 5th. Show begins in the Koth Memorial Gallery.
* May 26- Reception. Work may be picked up in-person after the reception and until the deadline (during Longview Public Library open hours).
* June 2- Deadline for work to be picked up in-person (by 4p.m. PST). After this date all unclaimed artwork will be disposed of at the discretion of Longview Public Library.
Only two-dimensional artwork is eligible for entry and acceptance into the show. Entries must not exceed 36 inches on any side and cannot be less than 14 inches on any side (include the frame in these measurements). Selected artwork must be dry, properly framed or mounted, and ready to hang upon delivery. Paintings that are canvas wrapped will be accepted without frames if the sides are neat (no staples showing) and painted. Submission should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only one (1) entry per artist
No Entry Fee!
Attach an image of your submission to the e-mail using the following guidelines:
* File format: JPEG only (.jpg)
* Image dimensions: no less than 6" x 8" and no greater than 8" x 10"
* File resolution: 72 ppi
* File size: 5 MB maximum
In the body of your e-mail include:
1. Your first and last name
2. Contact e-mail and phone number
3. The title of your submission
4. Media used in the submission and its dimensions (include the frame in your measurements)
5. 100 word (maximum) statement on how your submission relates to the theme "Bridges" (this will be displayed with your work if your submission is accepted into the show)
6. Contact information to be displayed alongside your work for purchasing/artist inquiries as well as sale price. If your work is not for sale please write "Not for sale." If you do not want contact information displayed with your piece please write "No contact."
All images submitted for consideration into the Longview Public Library 2018 Juried Show will be presented anonymously to the staff of Longview Public Library. Staff members will then select the pieces that will be accepted into the show. No staff member involved in receiving submissions or entry information will be allowed to choose which pieces are accepted into the show.
All works accepted into the show and on display are the responsibility of the displayer. Longview Public Library will not be responsible for loss or damage of any item.
Receiving Accepted Submissions:
If work is accepted into the show it must be hand-delivered to Longview Public Library between April 23rd at 10a.m. and April 28th at 4p.m. during regular library open hours. This is the ONLY delivery method that will be accepted. Arrangements can be made for a person other than the original artist to drop off and/or pick up work at the artist's own risk.
Work may be picked up any time after the reception on May 26th, and must be picked up by Saturday, June 2nd at 4 p.m. during regular library open hours. Work must be picked up in-person. No facilities are available for storage of artwork not picked up on time, and all unclaimed artwork will be disposed of at Longview Public Library's discretion if it hasn't been claimed by June 2nd, 2018 at 4p.m.
Jurying for Awards:
The accepted entries, as voted on by the staff of Longview Public Library, will be displayed for the juror to review in-person. All accepted entries will be displayed for the juror anonymously and as a group. All awards will be given at the discretion of the juror on or before May 1st.
$500 Purchase Award. Note: The artwork receiving the Purchase Award will become part of Longview Public Library's permanent collection. The artist will be contacted immediately after the jurying to accept or reject the Purchase Award.
$100 First Runner-up Award
$50 Second Runner-up Award
Longview Public Library does not take commissions for the sale of works accepted into this show. Any and all questions or requests for purchasing artwork or contacting artists in the show will be directed to the contact information provided by the artist in their submission e-mail.
Works will be displayed in the Koth Memorial Gallery in Longview Public Library from May 1st until May 31st (unless the artists choose to claim their artwork after the reception on May 26th). The Library will determine the location of works in the exhibition and use appropriate signage when necessary. A reception for the exhibition will be held on May 26th from 2p.m until 4p.m. This reception will be open to the public and light refreshments will be served.
About the Juror:
Hans Schaufus worked at the Longview Public Library for 25 years and retired in 2006. During his time at the library he established the Koth Memorial Gallery as a place for regular art exhibitions, and created a featured artist program where an artist's work would be purchased for the library's collection and hung for the public to enjoy. Hans Schaufus is also a prolific black and white photographer himself, publishing a book in 2015 of his photos from the former East Germany. The book is titled Am Ende Der Strasse Links: Eine Reise Durch Die Ehemalige DDR (At the End of the Street, Left: A Walk Through the former GDR).
Regular Library Hours:
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday - 10a.m. to 8p.m.
Thursday, Friday, Saturday - 10a.m. to 5p.m.
Sunday - closed
For questions or further information, please contact Daniel Tate at 1.360.442.5307.